December 2, 2022
Education City Stadium in Qatar, one of the eight stadiums being used in the World Cup, after the South Korea versus Ghana match on Nov. 28, 2022. Photo by Catherine Kobayashi
From AAJA-HQ: Shining a light on the lack of on-air AAPIs, bringing #AAJAExcellence to the foreground
Broadcast Snapshot Project AAJA released the final report of our snapshot of AAPI on-air talent in the top 20 local TV markets. We found that nearly 25 percent of stations had no AAPIs on air and more than 70 percent of the stations did not have enough on-air staff representative of their AAPI populations in their markets.
Judge Scholarships and Awards Support the next generation of AAPI journalists and uplift #AAJAExcellence through evaluating and selecting our scholarships and award winners in 2023. Apply to judge awards or scholarships, fellowships and internship grants.
Chapter Elections AAJA-Asia has announced their chapter election results. Keep an eye out for more announcements.
Staff Departures A huge thank you from AAJA-HQ to our Programs and Communications Coordinator Daniella Ignacio! You’ll be dearly missed, but we appreciate everything you’ve done for the #AAJAFamily
You can now update your member profile in our new CRM, MemberSuite. The first step to activating your account is to reset your password. To help us serve and advocate for you, MemberSuite requires you to supply additional profile information, which will help us design our programs to fit your needs. Please ensure that your information is accurate and your profile is up-to-date to continue receiving our newsletters. Click on the "how-to" in the upper right-hand corner after logging in or email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional help.
🗓 AAJA Events
Visit our events calendar for more events!
Dec. 3 and Dec. 10 | AAJA-Asia’s Fact-checking & Sources Verification Workshop for Students | Join AAJA-Asia for a free online workshop on disinformation, fact-checking multimedia content and verifying news sources on Saturday, Dec. 3 and Saturday, Dec. 10 from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. SGT/HKT. | RSVP here.
Dec. 10 | Speed Networking with AAJA-Portland | Join AAJA-Portland and Portland-area journalists of color for a speed networking event on Saturday, Dec. 10 from 9 to 11 a.m. PST at the Portland Chinatown Museum. | Learn more here.
👏 AAJA Kudos to...
- Gene Park, who is on the road to recovery after a successful surgery.
- Aimee Cho, who completed her last round of chemotherapy.
- Randip Janda, who is the NHL's first South Asian full-time radio color commentator.
- MJ Lee, who has been promoted to senior White House correspondent at CNN.
- Anita Ramaswamy, who will be joining Breakingviews, the international commentary brand of Reuters News, as a U.S. columnist.
- Shibani Mahtani and Kiran Misra, who won the 2022 South Asian Journalists Association Awards for business reporting and student journalism, respectively.
- Elaine Chen, who joins STAT News as their first cardiovascular reporter.
- Amy Nakamura, who joins The Washington Post as a social media editor for Reddit.
- Bernice Sibucao, who was featured by GMA News.
On Our List 🌟 📺 📸 📰 🎧
Follow us on Twitter @aaja for more works on our radar from the AAJA community.
- “At the heart of China’s protests against zero-Covid, young people cry for freedom" by Selina Wang and Nectar Gan, CNN
- Crowd angered by lockdowns calls for China’s Xi to step down” by Dake Kang and Huizhong Wu, The Associated Press
- “Fears rise that UC strike could have long-lasting consequences on vaunted research, teaching” by Teresa Watanabe, The Los Angeles Times
- “From Thanksgiving to New Year's, we often face our families' love and pain” by Tom Huang, The Dallas Morning News
- “UNC Charlotte updates policy to allow Sikh students to wear kirpan on campus” by Brahmjot Kaur, NBC Asian America
- “Breast cancer patient reunites with doctor who saved her, raises awareness amongst AAPI community” by Rina Nakano, CBS News
- “Netflix, Gold House, The Hollywood Reporter celebrate AAPI excellence” by Akemi Tamanaha, AsAmNews
Visit AAJA Careers or follow @AAJACareers on Twitter to post jobs or internships and stay up-to-date on available positions. Check in with your AAJA chapters for more opportunities.
- AAJA-Portland and SPJ’s Oregon Pro Chapter’s AAJA-SPJ Emerging Northwest Journalists Internship | Deadline: Dec. 9, 2022. | Apply here.
- AAJA Scholarships, Internships and Fellowships | Deadlines: Jan. 15, Jan. 30, Feb. 28, March 30, April 1 and Oct. 1, 2023. | Apply here.
- AAJA-L.A. and The L.A. Times’ 2023 Henry Fuhrmann Multiplatform Editing Summer Internship | Deadline: Jan. 10, 2023. | Apply here.
- AAJA Studio Submissions | Become an expert and join here.
Did you produce some great journalism recently, or see good work from others?
Put work on our radar to feature in our next member highlights.
Collectively, we can celebrate 40 years of impact and contribute towards 40 more years of AAJA's mission of supporting and uplifting AAPI journalists. Donate today.
Asian American Journalists Association
Having trouble viewing this email? View it in your web browser
You are receiving this email because you are an AAJA member or supporter. We recently moved to a different email server. If you previously unsubscribed, you can update your subscription preferences below.