August 25, 2021
#AAJA21 Daily Convention Update
#AAJA21 DAY THREE
Another day, another #AAJA21!
In this issue:
- #AAJA21 Day 3 Program
- Highlights from Yesterday
- Ways to Connect at #AAJA21
Another day, another #AAJA21! Yesterday, we got into the swing of things with many insightful panels, a fireside chat with Blue Bayou's Justin Chon and, finally, #AAJA21 Karaoke. From discussions on shaping coverage on anti-Asian racism, to sharing tips for freelancers and on traveling the world, it was a day of looking back on how far AAPI representation in journalism has come. We came together at the end of the night in an outpouring of love and support for the #AAJAFamily and their beautiful voices. After proudly looking back, we focus on journalism today in Day 3.
If you know, you know. #AAJA21 Karaoke with our emcee Frank Bi was the perfect way to end out the day, with nine members of our #AAJAFamily singing their hearts out! Check out the playlist that Frank created with all the songs from last night. (Also, please enjoy the latest meme that came out of the night—did we get rick rolled by Daigo Fujiwara, or #daigorolled?!?)
- Tonight's plenary, Boldly Moving Forward—Changing of the Guard: Cultivating New Generations of Newsroom Leadership
- Our 2021 VOICES cohort presents the array of projects they've been working on!
- Visit the Wellness & Self-Care Portfolio: We have short video for breathing, relaxation, meditation, yoga recorded for you to take a break during #AAJA21, brought to you by AAJA mental wellness program. You can find it under "Wellness and Self-Care." **Parents, we have kid-friendly yoga for you!
- Vote for our next AAJA Karaoke winner here: "Who's the Winner of AAJA?" by 10 a.m. ET on Saturday, August 28. For a refresher on the performances, visit Swag Bag and Portfolios and visit the Portfolio titled "Karaoke Finalists."
- Revisit sessions under the "Swag and Portfolios" section, which will have a portfolio titled "Recorded Sessions." This will be updated with recorded sessions each day!
- Submit questions for Lyrics Born, Ruby Ibarra, and Ella Jay Basco who are on tomorrow’s panel “"Music and the Media's Role in Changing the AAPI Narrative,” hosted by AAJA Features Forum. Tweet or DM to us and your question may be featured during the live stream event #AAJA21!
Thursday at #AAJA21 (all times in E.T.)
Start off the day with sponsored speed sessions by CoinDesk, Fox, and Columbia from 10:30 - 11 a.m.
11 a.m. - 12 p.m.
12:30 - 4:30 p.m.
12:30 - 1:30 p.m.
After a half-hour break, we’ll get right back into it:
2 - 3 p.m.
Meet with Recruiters in our "Expo Hall" from 3 - 4:30 p.m.
💡 Did you know you can make appointments to chat 1:1 on with recruiters this year? During the recruiter 1:1 time, use this feature to schedule a time. Each attendee is allowed one appointment per company. If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The link to the Expo Hall is here!
Go to AAJA Sports Task Force’s Twitter to see their live tweets during the “Using Your Platform to Speak Out: Tackling the Rise of AAPI Hate Crimes” panel!
Check out our Twitter thread from our fireside chat with director/actor Justin Chon about his film Blue Bayou, with Mariecar Mendoza as interviewer and moderator. We also loved Chris Casquejo’s thread unpacking the issues of immigration reform explored in the film!
For more Day 2 Highlights and Day 1 Highlights, click through AAJA’s daily Twitter threads capturing all the action in real time!
💡 #AAJA21 is hosted on Cadence. Learn how to use it to best enhance your #AAJA21 experience with these tutorials.
💡 If you missed something from yesterday, recordings of the sessions are viewable here.
Thanks to Our Presenting Sponsors:
Having trouble viewing this email? View it in your web browser
You are receiving this email because you are an AAJA member or supporter. Please manage your subscription preferences below.