August 27, 2021
#AAJA21 Daily Convention Update
#AAJA21 DAY FOUR!
Boldly Moving Forward!
In this issue:
- Must-Sees and To-Dos
- #AAJA21 Day 4 Program
- Thursday highlights
- Connect at #AAJA21
It’s Friday at #AAJA21! Yesterday, we had incredible discussions on addressing racism in the newsroom, conducting source tracking, covering stories about mental health, and more—all centering around the ever-changing world of journalism. Today, we are boldly moving forward and thinking about the next 40 years and beyond.
From last night's Changing Of The Guard plenary:
“In English, we have 3 words for the singular: me, myself, and I. In Chinese, there’s only one word. However, we have 2 words for grandparents, and I’ve lost track of how many for uncle.”
—David Ng on how being Asian and American trains him to see more sides to the story
- Tonight's plenary, Boldly Moving Forward: Changing of the Guard: Adapting and Innovating with Audience and Inclusion at the Core
- Music and the Media's Role in Changing the AAPI Narrative, hosted by the AAJA Features Forum
- Burnout is Real: How to Talk to Your Managers and In Your Newsrooms, presented by Yung AAJA, News Nerds, Women and Non-Binary Voices Affinity Group
- Submit questions for Lyrics Born, Ruby Ibarra, and Ella Jay Basco who are on tonight's panel, “Music and the Media's Role in Changing the AAPI Narrative,” hosted by AAJA Features Forum. Tweet or DM to us and your question may be featured during the live stream event #AAJA21!
- Don’t forget to vote for our next AAJA Karaoke winner by 10 a.m. ET on Saturday, August 28. For a refresher on the performances, visit Swag Bag and Portfolios and visit the Portfolio titled "Karaoke Finalists."
Friday at #AAJA21 (all times in E.T.)
Dive into the day with sponsored speed sessions by Columbia and Fox from 10:30 - 11 a.m. Then, head over to schedule a time with recruiters in our “Expo Hall” from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Meet with Recruiters in our "Expo Hall" from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
💡 Did you know you can make appointments to chat 1:1 on with recruiters this year? During the recruiter 1:1 time, use this feature to schedule a time. Each attendee is allowed one appointment per company. If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The link to the Expo Hall is here!
Highlights from Day 2
NBCU Academy’s thread from Why DEI?: How to Get Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Right
Corinne Chin, Kristine Villanueva, Katlyn Sofaea Alo Alapati and Lian Parsons-Thomason compiled a resource list of tips and a presentation from “But I’m Not A Racist: Having Difficult Newsroom Conversations."
Resources from Alternate Pathways, featuring Sharon Chan, Joie Chen, Victoria Lim and Lai Ling Jew are available in this Twitter thread.
View the 2021 VOICES cohort’s work on this Twitter thread, compiled by co-lead Farnoush Amiri!
View Naseem Miller's insightful presentation on best practices for covering COVID-19 from Context in the Time of COVID.
For a recap on the Pulitzer Center’s Stories of Mental Health, Stereotypes and Stigma panel featuring Alizeh Kohari, Ann Babe and Hsiuwen Liu, and moderator Boyoung Lim, check out Agnes Constante’s Twitter thread!
For more highlights from Day 3, Day 2 and Day 1, click through AAJA’s daily Twitter threads capturing all the action in real time!
💡 #AAJA21 is hosted on Cadence. Learn how to use it to best enhance your #AAJA21 experience with these tutorials.
💡 If you missed something from yesterday, recordings of the sessions are viewable here.
Thanks to Our Presenting Sponsors:
Having trouble viewing this email? View it in your web browser
You are receiving this email because you are an AAJA member or supporter. Please manage your subscription preferences below.