April 27, 2023
NBC anchor Richard Lui and his father in Lui's new documentary UNCONDITIONAL*, which grapples with mental health and caregiving. UNCONDITIONAL will be shown in theaters May 3-9 and featured on PBS stations nationwide.
*AAJA has a fiscal sponsorship agreement that includes this film.
From AAJA-HQ: Fostering community with new cohorts of leaders
ELP U.S. 2023 Cohort We’re thrilled to announce our 2023 Executive Leadership Program cohort, who will have their in-person opening session this week. Learn more about our cohort and co-leads.
Scholarship Recipients Congratulations to our 2023 Dinah Eng Leadership Fellowship Grant recipients Megan Ryan, Shweta Gulati and Esther Gim. Stay tuned to learn more about them and read more scholarship winner announcements in upcoming newsletters.
ELP-Asia AAJA-Asia’s Executive Leadership Program is accepting applications; you can also apply for a Google News Initiative Diversity Fellowship to cover the cost. ELP-Asia’s hybrid opening sessions will take place virtually and at AAJA-Asia’s conference, N3Con2023. Apply here by Monday, May 8.
Internship Grants Students: if you secured a summer internship and need financial assistance for living expenses, apply by May 1 for the Sam Chu Lin and Lloyd LaCuesta Broadcast Internship Grants.
🌠 SPOTLIGHT: Sewell Chan, AAJA Lifetime Member
AAJA has contributed to every stage of my career, from receiving a college scholarship to working on AAJA Voices as a writer (and later as an editor) to taking part in the Executive Leadership Program. I became a lifetime member to give back to this community that has done so much for me. –Sewell Chan
Thank you to Sewell for being our very first lifetime member! Join him in supporting AAJA’s mission and become a lifetime member today.
Sewell Chan, editor in chief of the Texas Tribune
Aorui Pi is a journalism graduate student at the University of Southern California. Originally from China, Aorui brings a unique perspective to her work as an international student in the United States. Aorui has a passion for news production and multimedia journalism, with a particular interest in covering international news. Prior to starting her graduate studies, she co-founded a Mandarin media platform at Syracuse University and gained valuable experience working at local TV stations.
🗓 AAJA Events
Contact us to list your event on our events calendar.
April 29 | AAJA-Los Angeles’s How to Report on Health in any Beat | AAJA-LA will host an event at JANM on Saturday, April 29 at 5 p.m. The panel will be moderated by Gita Amar and feature Usha McFarling. | RSVP here.
May 4 | AAJA-Chicago’s 8 Simple Rules for Hireworthy Job Applications | On Thursday, May 4 at 6:30 p.m., AAJA-Chicago will host a virtual event with Ariel Chung, partnership director of AAJA-Chicago and editor at The Chicago Tribune. | RSVP here.
May 9 | AAJA-New York’s The Rise of the Asian Candidate: Race and Representation in the 2024 Election | On Tuesday, May 9 at 6 p.m., AAJA-New York and The Asia Society will host a panel on the historic number of AAPI candidates in the upcoming 2024 election and what it means to be an Asian American reporter covering this election. | RSVP here.
May 10 | AAJA Caregivers Meeting | On Wednesday, May 10 at 7 p.m., AAJA Caregivers will host a meeting. Please contact Chris to be added to the RSVP or join #caregiversgroup on Slack.
On Our List 🌟 📺 📸 📰 🎧
Follow us on Twitter @aaja for more works on our radar from the AAJA community.
- "Opinion: The big casting blunder on ‘Beef’ sends a message" by Jeff Yang, CNN
- “The heavy mask of perfection in 'Beef' speaks to many women’s fear of revealing their true self” by Yvonne Liu, Salon
- “Community Health Services Face Strain as US Covid Emergency Ends” by Amy Yee, Bloomberg
- “Raghavan Iyer’s final book is a guide through curry’s complex history” by Nandita Godbole, The Washington Post
- “Scholastic wanted to license her children's book — if she cut a part about 'racism'” by Emma Bowman, NPR
- “ShibSibs’ new children’s book highlights AAPI history makers, past and present” by Samantha Pak, Northwest Asian Weekly
- “‘We Are Not Each Other’s Enemies’” by Sarah Mizes-Tan, ft. Dion Lim, CapRadio
- “There’s more to learn about San Diego’s Chinese history, new museum director says” by Lisa Deaderick, The San Diego Union-Tribune
- “Beyond K-pop: 10 Korean Indie Artists You Should Know” by Regina Kim, Elle
Visit AAJA Careers or follow @AAJACareers on Twitter to post jobs or internships and stay up-to-date on available positions. Check in with your AAJA chapters for more opportunities.
- Deadline approaching: Sam Chu Lin and Lloyd LaCuesta Broadcast Internship Grants | These internship grants for students provide financial assistance for summer internship expenses. | Deadline: Monday, May 1. | Apply here.
- AAJA-Asia's N3Con | AAJA-Asia’s New.Now.Next Media Conference will take place from May 25-28. | Early bird registration deadline: Sunday, April 30. | Register here.
- AAJA Studio Submissions | Become an expert and join here.
- AAJA Style Guide | Join us in reshaping AAPI coverage and news standards.
- AAJA-Seattle’s Convention Stipend for Professional Journalists | Recipients will receive $1,200 to attend #AAJA23. | Deadline: Monday, May 1. | Apply here.
- AAJA-Seattle’s Founders’ Scholarship | Student recipients will receive $1,500 to attend #AAJA23. | Deadline: Monday, May 1. | Apply here.
- AAJA-Asia’s ELP and Google News Initiative Diversity Fellowship | Deadline: Monday, May 8. | Apply here.
- AAJA-San Francisco Bay Area | AAJA-SF Bay Area is offering up to five stipends to paid 2023 members of the chapter. | Deadline: Thursday, June 1. | Apply here.
External and Partner Opportunities:
- Diverse Sources Directory | NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ+ Journalists invites interested individuals to sign up as a source or speaker in their directory. | Apply here.
Did someone forward you this email? Subscribe to our newsletter here.
Did you produce some great journalism recently, or see good work from others?
Put work on our radar to feature in our next member highlights.
Collectively, we can celebrate 40 years of impact and contribute towards 40 more years of AAJA's mission of supporting and uplifting AAPI journalists. Donate today.
Asian American Journalists Association
Having trouble viewing this email? View it in your web browser
You are receiving this email because you are an AAJA member or supporter. We recently moved to a different email server. If you previously unsubscribed, you can update your subscription preferences below.