AAJA-Asia’s New. Now.Next Conference (N3Con) featured a fireside chat with AAJA-Asia President K. Oanh Ha (L) and Maria Ressa, co-founder and CEO of Rappler on Saturday, May 27 in Singapore.
Photo courtesy of Naomi Tacuyan Underwood.
For over 80 years, the duPont-Columbia Awards have honored the best in audio and video journalism: broadcast, documentary and online. Submit your original reporting in investigative and breaking news coverage, longform stories, documentaries and interactive multimedia on critical subjects in the public interest. Deadline to submit July 1st.
From AAJA-HQ: Nominate candidates for AAJA elections
Elections The following positions are open for this year's national election: Senior Vice President, Vice President of Communications and Vice President of Journalism Programs. Learn more about the election timeline here.
A Message from the President To conclude AAPI Heritage Month, AAJA President Nicole Dungca acknowledges the remarkable progress of our community and encourages us to embrace our AAPI heritage.
AAJA Excellence Last month, we celebrated AAPI Heritage Month and announced our AAJA Journalism Excellence Award winners. Learn more about our #AAJAExcellence winners and read their work on our awards website.
ELP-Asia AAJA-Asia has announced their 2023 Executive Leadership Program cohort. Congratulations to all! Learn more about this year's participants here.
Scholarship recipients Congratulations to our latest scholarship winner Ryan Chien (University of California, Berkeley), recipient of the AAJA Sports Task Force-Bleacher Report Social Content Internship. Stay tuned to learn about more scholarship winner announcements in upcoming newsletters.
- Our career center is open! Upload your resume today and get ready to network!
- Don’t forget to book your hotel room at our discounted rate before they run out!
- CNN is accepting applications for their Producer Workshop, Reporter Workshop and session "The Art of a Live Shot." Apply to level up your skills!
- The AAJA Film Showcase, hosted by AAJA's Photojournalists, Video and Women and Nonbinary Affinity Groups, is accepting completed short and long-form submissions from current AAJA members. Submit here by Friday, June 9.
- AAJA x NBCUniversal is sponsoring two emerging producers to attend convention. Apply here by Monday, June 12.
- AAJA-Minnesota is offering up to five grants of up to $300 for local members to attend convention. The deadlines are rolling, with priority given to those who apply earlier. Apply here.
- AAJA-Texas is offering stipends of up to $1,000 to help members attend convention. Apply here by Friday, June 16.
🌠 SPOTLIGHT: Juju Chang, AAJA Lifetime Member
“For me, AAJA’s lifetime membership is a 2-way street. There are benefits, privileges and community. But it’s also a promise… a commitment to the next generation of journalists that we are a family, a coalition built on shared values and aspirations.” –Juju Chang
Thank you to Juju for supporting #AAJAFamily! Join her in supporting AAJA’s mission and become a lifetime member today.
Juju Chang, ABC News anchor
🗓 AAJA Events
Contact us to list your event on our events calendar.
June 11 | AAJA-Portland’s AAJA To Go: Jade District Walking Tour With APANO | On Sunday, June 11, join AAJA-Portland and APANO for a customized walking tour of Portland's Jade District, followed by dim sum. | RSVP here.
June 17 | AAJA-Washington, D.C.’s Picnic on the Mall | On Saturday, June 17 at 2 p.m., join AAJA-D.C. on the mall for a picnic just south of the American History museum. Tasty bites will be provided but BYO drinks, more snacks and blankets/chairs. Partners, kids and dogs are welcome. | RSVP here.
June 17 | AAJA-New York’s Picnic and Pre-Convention Mixer in the Park | On Saturday, June 17 at 11 a.m., join AAJA-New York for a picnic near the Prospect Park Picnic House in Brooklyn to spend time with friends, pups and snacks. | RSVP here.
June 22 | AAJA-San Francisco Bay Area’s Summer Party | On Thursday, June 22 at 6:30 p.m., join AAJA-San Francisco for a mixer with food, drinks and friends! The event will feature Justin Zhu, executive director of Stand With Asian Americans. | RSVP here.
📓 News & Resources
member spotlight The Rappler recently interviewed Curtis Chin to discuss the importance of Asian representation in media and film. He emphasized the need for diversity in content, including representation of Filipinos and Filipino Americans in various forms such as food, music, film and TV.
AAJA in the media AAJA’s Broadcast Snapshot Project was mentioned along with The Asian American Foundation’s 2023 STAATUS Index in an article on the lack of AAPI representation in media.
chapter news AAJA-Portland announced the winners of their 2023 Diversity and Inclusion Awards, which recognized the best journalism published during 2022 about issues that disproportionately affect people of color or other under-resourced groups in Oregon and/or southwest Washington.
report INN, the Institute for Nonprofit News, released an Index Snapshot outlining the nonprofit news sector’s trends, opportunities and challenges. Their Index Report focusing on diversity, equity and inclusion will be released in summer 2023.
terminology NBCU Academy encourages using “incarceration” or “imprisonment” over “internment” to describe Japanese American World War II camps in a recent article. It discusses how else journalists should contextualize this mass incarceration and the importance of accurate language.
chapter news AAJA-Philadelphia and other organizers of J.A.W.N (Journalism Accountability Watchdog Network) including the leaders of Free Press, PABJ and NAHJ-Philadelphia, met with the Philadelphia Inquirer’s leadership. Read their reflections from the meeting.
👏 AAJA Kudos to...
- Peter Bhatia and Mizanur Rahman, who officially launched Houston Landing.
- Catalina Camia, who was named deputy news director of Bloomberg Law.
- Sumi Aggarwal, who was appointed as The Intercept’s first chief strategy officer.
- Ti-Hua Chang, who received a New York Press Club award for crime reporting.
- Jamie Nguyen and Vicky Nguyen, whose team received a New York Press Club award for consumer reporting.
- Angie Lau, who received a Tech Woman of the Year award from JESSICA Magazine.
- Lisa Ling, who has been named a CBS News contributor and will debut on CBS News later this summer.
- Pia Singh, who will join CNBC as an associate markets reporter in July.
- Tercius Tarcisius Serrano Bufete, Cynthia Benjamin, Momo Chang, Janet Cho, Sheila Dang, Priya David Clemens, Yihyun Jeong, Caron LeNoir, Jaisal Noor and Michelle Zenarosa, who are 2023 Maynard 200 Fellows.
- Julie Patel Liss, who produced an investigation for PBS SoCal/KCET that was credited by lawmakers and others for sparking a local government anti-corruption law.
- Ailia Zehra, who launched Dissent Today, an independent platform standing up for freedom of speech and against the persecution of dissenting voices around the world.
On Our List 🌟 📺 📸 📰 🎧
Follow us on Twitter @aaja for more works on our radar from the AAJA community.
- “School busing was one of the best things that ever happened to me” by Naomi Ishisaka, The Seattle Times
- “Kids aren’t always taught AAPI history in schools. These people are trying to change that” by Natasha Chen, CNN
- “The hidden lives of interpreters to MLB’s Asian stars: ‘These guys are lifelines’” by Brittany Ghiroli, The Atlantic
- “Rose Zhang prevails in pro debut, a win not seen on LPGA Tour in 72 years” by Gene Wang, The Washington Post
- “For many Asian Americans, medical interpreters are a vital but scarce resource” by Ali Rogin and Maea Lenei Buhre, PBS
- “Atlanta parents lead movement to bolster AAPI history education, address racism” by Emily Wu Pearson, WABE
- “How Iran's security forces use rape to quell protests” by Tamara Qiblawi, Barbara Arvanitidis, Nima Elbagir, Alex Platt, Artemis Moshtaghian, Gianluca Mezzofiore, Celine Alkhaldi and Muhammad Jambaz, CNN
- "‘A target on my back’: New survey shows racism is a huge problem in nursing" by Usha Lee McFarling, STAT
Visit AAJA Careers or follow @AAJACareers on Twitter to post jobs or internships and stay up-to-date on available positions. Check in with your AAJA chapters for more opportunities.
- AAJA x NBCUniversal is sponsoring two emerging producers to attend convention. | Deadline: Monday, June 12. | Apply here.
- AAJA-Minnesota Stipend | AAJA-Minnesota is offering up to five grants of up to $300 for local members to attend convention. | Deadlines: rolling, with priority given to those who apply earlier. | Apply here.
- AAJA-Texas Stipend | AAJA-Texas is offering stipends of up to $1,000 to help members attend convention. | Deadline: Friday, June 16. | Apply here.
- AAJA-Los Angeles Health Equity Fellowship | AAJA-Los Angeles seeks proposals for in-depth reporting projects that explore health equity issues that affect the Asian American community. | Deadline: Thursday, June 15. | Learn more here.
- AAJA-Los Angeles LAist Broadcast Internship | AAJA-Los Angeles partners with an award-winning NPR affiliate public media newsroom to offer an internship opportunity for broadcasting/journalism students. | Deadline: Friday, June 16. | Learn more here.
- AAJA Studio Submissions | Become an expert and join here.
- AAJA Style Guide | Join us in reshaping AAPI coverage and news standards.
Did someone forward you this email? Subscribe to our newsletter here.
Did you produce some great journalism recently, or see good work from others?
Put work on our radar to feature in our next member highlights.
Collectively, we can celebrate 40 years of impact and contribute towards 40 more years of AAJA's mission of supporting and uplifting AAPI journalists. Donate today.
Asian American Journalists Association
Having trouble viewing this email? View it in your web browser
You are receiving this email because you are an AAJA member or supporter. We recently moved to a different email server. If you previously unsubscribed, you can update your subscription preferences below.